9. November 2009

Those were the days!

Can't believe it is already 20 years ago that the Berlin Wall came down and the border between GDR and FRG were open 28 years after the building of the Wall.

I can't remember what I did that day, I was about to turn 17 and had my first year at a new school which I hated at the time.
Probably for once not thinking of the events of the other side of the border as I did since the summer. It was noticable that a change was due in Eastern Germany for a long time. But no one could forsee that it would happend that fast.


Usually on each 9th of November in German schools the pupils were remembering another date in German history, but an event of a completely different nature and not joyful at all. Does Kristallnacht ring a bell???

So no emotional state can be reported from my side, the moment it was published that from this very moment no Eastern German citizen would need any visa or forms to travel "abroad". The very same night tenthousands of Germans crossed the border in both directions or simply partying with strangers at the wall.



In retrospect a really moving moment that I witnessed without realising how important that night would become...

Keine Kommentare: